Does your skin often feel oily at the end of the day? Or does your makeup not hold properly? That sounds like oily skin. How can you best care for oily skin? And which products are suitable for oily skin? We tell you everything you need to know about oily skin.
What is oily skin?
Your skin produces sebum every day. Sebum keeps your skin supple and protects your skin from drying out. Oily skin produces too much sebum. This ensures oily-feeling and glowing skin. If you have oily skin, you often also suffer from impurities such as pimples and blackheads .
What are the characteristics of oily skin?
Are you unsure whether you have oily skin? This is how you recognize oily skin:
- Your skin glows and feels greasy
- You regularly suffer from impurities
- You have visibly coarse pores
- Your makeup does not adhere well to your skin
What is the cause of oily skin?
Oily skin is caused by an excessive production of sebum. How much sebum your skin produces may be related to:
- Your age
- Your gender
- Your diet
- Hormonal fluctuations
Hormonal fluctuations mainly occur during puberty, your period and menopause . Your hormone balance can also become confused during pregnancy or through the use of contraceptives.
How Do You Clean Oily Skin?
Good cleaning is essential if you have oily skin. Clean your skin in the morning and in the evening with a mild cleansing product, for example the Micro Sito Cleansing Cream . In addition, use an exfoliant weekly to remove dead skin cells and prevent clogged pores.
Can your skin use some extra attention? Then visit the beautician for a facial .
How do you care for oily skin?
A common mistake in caring for oily skin is using harsh products that dry out your skin. Using aggressive products often only works for a short time. Ultimately, this ensures that you only produce more sebum. How to care for oily skin:
- Use a mattifying day cream with protection factor every day. For example, try the Micro Sito Young Skin Mattifying Day Cream .
- Use an alcohol-free toner daily before applying your make-up, for example the RoC Perfecting Toner .
- Use a moisturizing night cream daily, for example the Olaz Total Effects 7-In-1 Hydrating Night Cream .
- Use a clay mask weekly to remove excess sebum. For example, try the Dr. Van der Hoog Lava Clay Mask .
Tips for oily skin
In addition to proper cleaning and care, the following can help with oily skin:
- Avoid care products based on alcohol or oil. Alcohol dries out your skin, while oil-based products only make your skin more oily.
- Do not use washcloths when cleaning your face. The friction activates the production of sebum.
- Make sure you get enough sleep .
- Eat healthy and varied. An unhealthy diet can promote oily skin.
- Try to avoid or reduce stress whenever possible. Relaxation exercises can help you with that.
Which day cream is suitable for oily skin?
Do you think your skin will only get oily with the use of day cream? The opposite is true. Using a moisturizing day cream regulates the production of sebum and helps restore your skin balance. Choose a water-based day cream, for example the Biodermal Oily & Mixed Skin Cream . This cream mattifies, conditions and moisturizes and helps prevent shine.
Which foundation is suitable for oily skin?
Are you looking for a foundation that is suitable for oily skin? Then choose a water-based mattifying foundation. For example, try the Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation . This foundation is suitable for normal to oily skin, has a smoothing and mattifying effect and blurs the pores.